What is "RENT"?
Rent is based on the opera "La Boheme" by Giacomo Puccino. It is a modern-day tale of a group of people, set in New York's East Village. The characters are:
- Roger Davis, a struggling musician who's HIV+. Roger hopes to write one last meaningful song before he dies.
- Mark Cohen, a filmmaker and video artist, and Roger's roommate.
- Tom Collins, an HIV+ computer genius who's back in New York after being away.
- Benjamin Coffin III, landlord of Mark and Roger's building. Benny wants to start a multimedia studio.
- Joanne Jefferson a public interest lawyer, and Maureen's lover.
- Angel Shunard, a transvestite street drummer also infected with HIV.
- Mimi Marquez, a dancer with AIDS and a drug problem.
- Maureen Johnson, a performance artist and Mark's ex-girlfriend.
- Mark's mom, Roger's mom, Mr. and Mrs. Jefferson, Mr. Grey, Alexi Darling, Steve, Paul, a Christmas caroller,
a woman with bags, a pastor, man with squeegee, a cop, a waiter, and others.
Written by Jonathan Larson, the story was originally told in flashback with commentary by all of the characters.
Tune Up #1 / Voice Mail #1 / Tune Up #2
You Okay, Honey?
Tune Up #3 / One Song Glory
Light My Candle
Voice Mail #2
Today 4 U
Will I? / On the Street
I'll Cover You
Over the Moon
La Vie Boheme / I Should Tell You / La Vie Boheme
Seasons of Love
Happy New Year / Voice Mail #3 / Happy New Year
Take Me or Leave Me
Seasons of Love (B)
Voice Mail #4
I'll Cover You (Reprise)
What You Own
Finale / Your Eyes / Finale